Thursday, January 05, 2006

To the woman that sits in the cubicle behind me...

If you're waiting for me to apologize for the words that were exchanged between us yesterday, don't hold your breath. In the interest of not losing my job, I've kept my mouth shut since then, though there are many things I still wish to say...

To begin... quite frankly, fuck you. There are much GREATER tragedies occurring in the world AS WE SPEAK than me not crossing my name off the birthday card routing sheet before I passed it on to you. That, when you pointed out my oversight to me and I jokingly said 'It's not like I don't have 500 other things on my mind', you came back at me with a list of your current life-problems and ended with 'Can you top that list?' offended me greatly. Can I top your list? Well let me try...

Your partner is sick right now? I have the joy of jamming a needle full of insulin into my stomach every evening, because my doctor and I can't figure out yet why we can't get my blood sugar under control. I'm trying to eat right, and exercising again, and still taking my handfuls of the oral drugs for controlling diabetes, but they're just not working for some reason.

Your truck broke down and you need $300 for a new starter? K and I dropped 10 TIMES THAT MUCH into his car last year, and now we've got a credit card bill that we're trying to get paid off before he LOSES HIS JOB a month from now.

Your mom is having knee replacement surgery next week? Be thankful that your parents are still alive and that you can be there to help them through these times, and that they're willing and able to loan you the $300 for your truck repair, because BOTH OF MY PARENTS ARE DEAD and I wouldn't even dream of asking my in-laws for a loan.

On top of all that, K is hacking through a forest of red tape right now, and having one door after another slammed in his face, to get the degree program of his choice approved by the TAA representative at the county Job Center office, so that he can go back to school instead of having to take another dead-end factory job.

Your life isn't falling apart more than anyone else's, and your problems are any more or less worse than anyone else's... they're just different. So get over it.

4 comments:

Pax Romano said...

Ruth,

Office Life, aint it a freaking blast?!?!?

Maidy said...

Cubicles .... ick. To say I miss working in one would mean I am lying through my ever-loving teeth. Thankfully I worked with people that didn't annoy the hell out of me. I, on the other hand, probably annoyed the hell out of them. But that's cause I'm nuttier than a fruitcake.

Okay, I'm getting ahead of my point here.

You handled it just fine. And your attitude towards the whole ordeal is spot-on. Some people need an enlightened reality check, via a swift kick in the ass, every now and zen.

justrose said...

people like that ... ugh. why would she even mention all that stuff to you? hang in there ruth, don't let em get you down.

welshwitch36 said...

Keep your chin-up, they're all over the world, idiots like that!