Thursday, January 12, 2006

Alright, damnit. Let's try this one more time, so at least I can have something new up this week. It's not entirely my fault. We had computer issues at the homestead for 4 or 5 days because the new satellite hook-up (my father-in-law's idea) was interfering with the internet connection. I've started 6 or 7 different posts this week, deleted most of them, have one left sitting as a draft. Why can't I seem to finish anything this week? As I said in a comment on another blog, I've spent most of my time at work this week on the internet (as I am now!) trying to at least look busy so my micro-managing supervisor doesn't catch on. Oh my God. Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now...

I've had all I can take of those around me here in insurance-land (the woman in the cubicle behind me is singing as we speak, and it's only 6:45 in the morning). In about an hour I've got my final interview for a position in another department that would bring more $$, better hours, and the possibility of working from home from time to time. Wish me luck.

I've also started my first book of the new year, the year that Ruth starts to read again! Dan Savage is a regular contributor on This American Life, a weekly program on NPR that I absolutely love. His book The Kid tells the story of how he and his boyfriend decided to have a baby, contemplated asking one of several female friends to carry a baby for them, and finally ended up adopting a little boy. It's open and honest, and giving me a perspective on this topic that, as a straight white girl, I'd never get otherwise. And it's hilarious. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, but I'd highly recommend it to anyone. Next up on the list is Where I Was From by Joan Didion. No particular order to how I'm reading these - just at the mercy of the library and how quickly they can get them to me. I would love nothing more than to head to the local Barnes & Noble and purchase every book I've put on my reading list for this year, but unfortunately finances do not allow that.

So there you have it. At least I've posted something for this week; accomplished one thing, however small it might be.

No comments: