Tuesday, August 29, 2006

On a lighter note...

This is a true story...

We went to see the in-laws this past weekend. No, this is not exactly my favorite way to spend one of the two days a week I get off from work, but what can you do, especially when you have a kid? We got a free dinner out of it, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

The boy was frolicing with grandpa. Mom-in-law was on the couch watching the evening news. The husband and I were picking up the boy's toys, and as I started to put a set of small plastic zoo animals into a bag, this exchange took place...

The husband: "Yeah, I heard on the news a few days ago that they've finally declared the black rhinoceros extinct."

The mother-in-law: "I don't see why people make such a big deal out of an animal going extinct! I mean really!! We wouldn't want the dinosaurs to still be around, would we? Or the Sabertooth tigers?"

The husband and I looked at each other in stunned silence. I was actually speechless. Finally, after a few seconds, I said "Well, she does have a point. Think how inconvenient it would be if the dinosaurs were still around."

Then we went home.

2 comments:

T. Paulina said...

Not the brightest crayon in the box, is she? LOL

Very strange...

Ruth said...

No, no she's not.

She's my father-in-law's second wife. We're still trying to figure out what the attraction was...