Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Charles Schultz philosophy

I received this email as a FW: FW: FW: today.  Since Snoopy is the unofficial spokesperson for the insurance company I work for ( Hmmmm... did I give too much away?  Although let me make an important distinction by saying that I do not actually sell  the insurance.  I don’t think I could ever do that job!), the subject line piqued my interest.  Call me naïve.  Call me sappy.  This really made me stop and think when I read it.  I spend so much time focusing on what I think is wrong with my life, lamenting what I think I’ve been cheated out of because things haven’t gone according to the little ‘plan’ I made for myself when I was younger.  It’s so easy to get caught up in all of that self-pity and let it take over, pushing out the really good things.  I thought it was worth passing on.


Charles  Schultz  Philosophy

The  following is the philosophy of Charles Schultz, the creator of the  "Peanuts" comic strip. You don't have to actually answer  the  questions.  Just read the e-mail straight through, and you'll get the  point.
  
1. Name the  five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the  last five Heisman trophy winners.  
3. Name the  last five winners of the Miss America.  
4. Name ten  people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.  
5. Name the  last half dozen Academy Award winner for best actor and  actress.  
6. Name the  last decade's worth of World Series winners.



  
How  did you do?

  
The point  is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no  second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause  dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and  certificates are buried with their owners.


Here's  another quiz. See how you do on this one:

1. List a  few teachers who aided your journey through  school.  
2. Name  three friends who have helped you through a difficult  time.  
3. Name five  people who have taught you something worthwhile.  
4. Think of  a few people who have made you feel appreciated and  special.  
5. Think of  five people you enjoy spending  time  with.

Easier?
  
The lesson:  The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the  most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones  that care.
  
"Don't worry  about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in  Australia." (Charles Schultz)







No comments: